If You Are Required To Use Your Own Vehicle For Work, You May Be Able To Claim Mileage Allowance Rebate

Mileage Allowance explained

Mileage allowance applies to those employees who have to use their personal vehicles for work related travel. The employees may be entitled to a tax refund. This especially comes into play when employers agree to certain travel costs with the employers but the rates fall below the preset rate from HMRC.

Employees are entitled to be reimbursed 45p per mile for the first 10,000 mles and 25p per mile thereafter the initial 10,000 miles. This is the standard rate set by HMRC, to help employees cover fuel costs and maintain their vehicle.

HMRC are willing to reimburse employees where they have been underpaid by their employer. 

Please be advised you cannot claim money back for any additional charges, such as parking tickets, congestion charges, ULEZ charges, and Tolls. 

What is meant by Work Related Travel?

Work related travel does not mean your usual commute to work. It is any additional travel you may do, from your usual workplace to a different site. An example of this may be, if a doctor is required to make many home visits throughout his employment, or salesman has to attend work related courses/events. 

Can I still apply if my employer already reimburses me?

You may still have a valid claim even if your employer has agreed to reimburse you for your travels. This is because your employer may be reimbursing you for under the set rates by HMRC. The rate, which has already been set by HMRC also differs between different vehicles, i.e whether you drive a car, van, truck or motorbike.

Why not make use of our online calculator to work out exactly how much you are owed in tax rebate.

How much can I Claim back?

You must claim within 4 years since the end of the tax year. This means you can claim relief on all work related mileage incurred since 6th April 2016.

What are the steps to recover your tax from HMRC?

This is where the team at Tax-Rebate helps you. We have worked in this sector for many years and reclaimed tax for countless employees just like you. 

We have made the process extremely straightforward. You may make use of our online tax calculator to find out how much of a refund you are entitled to.  

The form asks you for some personal details and the name of your employer, the sector you work in and your job role. You then sign the form and we do the rest. It really is that simple.

Our experienced team will then review your details and liaise with HMRC directly. Within a few weeks, you will be receiving a cheque of the tax rebate in the post, without any further steps required from yourself.    

Our Other Services

You may also be entitled to refund if your are married (Marriage Allowance Tax Reclaim), if you use your own tools (Tool Allowances Tax Rebates), if you drive your own vehicle in the course employment (Mileage Allowance Tax Refund), Magazine / Professional Bodies subscription allowances tax refund, if you are a member of a union (Subscriptions Fees Tax Refund).

Should you have any queries, as to whether you are entitled to any of the above tax claims, you may use our calculator, or submit a query to our email, where a member of our team will be more than happy to advise you. 

Scroll to Top